…This is one of the common questions I get when meeting new clients as we begin our SEO journey; generating keywords can be overwhelming but it does not need to be too complicated.
Keywords or keyphrases is the term people type on the Google Search box. Business owners would ideally prefer their brand to be visible on the first page and at the top rank for specific words related to their product. And to do it right at once, some companies in the Philippines and abroad even hire a Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Consultant to secure an organic spot.
We should own and be #1 for branded keywords (our product name, company names, and persons) on the Search Engine Results Pages (SERPs) but also keep the visibility for long-tail-keywords (more specific and generic phrases that drives targeted traffic to our site). Imagine the SERPs if I type the following:
Branded Kw: Kate Spade
Short Tail Kw: Bag
Long Tail Kw: school bag for boys
Sometimes you don’t really need thousands of wandering traffic to your site but just a hundred who exactly know what they want. So when identifying what keywords to use and if you have a limited budget, focus on the branded plus the long tail.”
Start with these steps:
- Simplify the activity and take the perspective of your consumers—what could possibly be on their mind when typing on the search box of Google? How will they find you?
- List as many keywords that you can think – your digital team or online marketing consultant would suggest which one is relevant and has average monthly searches after they conduct an analysis.
- Invite your marketing/sales team to contribute – consolidated ideas would add essence to the keyword listing.
- If ready to be a bit technical, you can sneak to the website of your competitors using Google Adword’s Keyword Planner to know what they are vying for. Here’s what you can do:
- Login to Google Adwords – go to “Tools”
- From the dropdown, click “Keyword Planner”
- Once you have opened the form, type the URL of competitor in “your landing page”
- Click the “Get Ideas” button found at the bottom of the form (then voila!)
Hope you enjoy the process of identifying the best keywords for your business as this is the cornerstone of the SEO campaign. If you have questions from any of the process, send me an email and I can discuss the steps further when we talk.