Even if you hired an Agency or a Consultant to do your company’s online marketing effort, it is still important that you know what’s going on in the digital space. Here are some start-up activities that you can initiate as you dive further with digital strategy:
- Be willing to learn. Listen, read, and ask your consultant about the ongoing online activities being implemented for your product/service. Your FB ad should be running with a purpose. The need to install Google Analytics to your site must have a reason.
- Don’t be intimidated by online jargons. It is okay to inquire about Facebook Insight that is not clear to you—what is the relationship of reach and click-through-rate? Why do we need weekly articles for the website? What’s difference between on and off page optimization? Also, trust that Mr. Google will always be there to clarify things but you have to exert some degree of interest so he can help you.
- Find a good resource and allow yourself to be trained. Yes, there are a lot of institutions, software, specialists but not all may actually have the expertise to give you the correct knowledge. And once you do, exert an effort to participate in the process—attend webinars, go to meet-ups, join conferences, browse through whitepapers.
- Information should not overwhelm you. It may take time to absorb even the basic protocols but once you do, you’re set!
- Maintain the appetite for learning. There will always be the revised platform, new technique, updated algorithm so one cannot just sit in a couch and proclaim “they know it all!”. (Be very afraid if they do.)
- Despite the several online materials easily available on the net, the best way to learn is still through actual practice and application. If you are keen with social media, explore Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn and maximize its use for the benefit of your own brand. If you find website interface interesting, make sure you are one of the page administrators and be acquainted with the CMS (like WordPress).
Go and take your first step then everything shall follow. Forgive yourself if you don’t understand at once and if you commit a mistake, don’t feel bad— trial and error and trial again is part of the online adventure. Have fun!
(Image courtesy of basketman at FreeDigitalPhotos.net)