Give a realistic overview of the work and expectations. You can’t say to clients, “we will reach top 1 position on SERPs next month” as no one can really dictate that or “we will get 1,00 organic FB likes in one day” without giving the plan how to do it and identifying the quality of fans who will like the fan page. Internet Marketing Consultants are not witches and wizards that conjure a magic spell; our work is not based on a one-night stand. This is a long, tedious process requiring a relevant contribution from every single member of the team.
I have managed some clients who turned to me for consulting over their online marketing department’s deliverables. Most Entrepreneurs/Managers are disappointed as their goal is not reached but I’m sure if the project is properly explained to them, they will have more room for understanding and they themselves would be able to contribute for a better result. At any given stage, what is essential is to build a common ground for everyone to base their activities. This will make each perception equal whether they are new in digital marketing, an intermediate practitioner, or an expert in a specific field. How to ascertain that we are aligned?
- Explain the technical jargons – no member of the team is supposed to feel clueless about what is going on.
- Ask questions – avoid assuming and guessing, distinguish the blurry aspects of the plan and reiterate what needs to be clarified.
- Pin the objective(s) – Everyone has to secure a comprehension of why we are doing what we are doing and what will the company get from it.
- Identify the Key Performance Indicator (KPI) – this will help evaluate success (or otherwise) at reaching targets. Is it monthly website visit? Number of inquiries in a week?
- Create a timeline and assign people who will take charge of each task – someone has to take responsibility and own their assignment. Each one has a valuable contribution to the overall strategy so a delay or a miss of one person has a pendulum effect to all.
- Evaluate monthly activities – What works and what fails to deliver? How willing is the team to tweak the campaign and apply changes? Learn from the results positive or negative it may be. Remember a poor outcome does not necessarily mean a failure but a room to learn and enhance the coming months’ campaign flow. Stay optimistic.
Sometimes a lot of things are going on and it can be overwhelming to identify which of the many possible strategies are appropriate to your business.
If you need assistance to polish your existing plan of action or if you are starting from scratch and do not know how to begin the execution, message us today and let’s discuss your next move.